Wayward: self-willed; rebellious; unruly; impulsive

Friday, September 28, 2012

The BIG 3-0! Oh No!

Today is my 30th birthday. I’ve been looking forward to turning 30 because it seems like the end of an era. I have to admit though, that this isn’t at all what I thought 30 would look like. I honestly pictured more of a “Sex and the City” version of 30. Or is it Sex IN the City? I never watched the show, obviously. From what I understand it’s about a few single ladies in their 30’s with great jobs, great friends, and a great social life. They wear cute clothes as they adventure through a fantastic social life. Of course there are a few things I tweaked in my version: take out all of the sleaze, smoking, and huge city. Add in a few cowboys, live music, and outdoorsy stuff. Basically give me all of the fun and none of the responsibility of settling down. Hmm. Besides a pair of cowboy boots and a few yearly hikes, 30 doesn’t look at all like I thought it would. I have all of the responsibility (plus some considering I’m a surgeon’s wife) of settling down and my glamorous social scene is at church. This is why I’m grateful God is in control and not me. My white picket fence and 2.5 kids are paradise and more of a blessing than I could’ve ever imagined.

I’ve thought a bit about this year and what it symbolizes to me. It’s the end of the selfish era. A 3rd of my life was spent learning through mistakes and putting myself 1st. Maybe I’ll have another 60 years to gain wisdom and knowledge and actually put my lessons learned into action. This leads me to some goals for my 30th year:

30 dates with my husband

30 dates with my children (15 each)

Send 30 encouragement cards

Donate 30 items each month

Volunteer 30x this year

Daily Random Act of Kindness-this is going to be something super small like taking my neighbor’s newspaper of the steps and leaving it on her doormat or leaving an encouraging note for the next person at the gas pump.

The year of 30 is completely and totally dedicated to giving, serving, and loving others. It’ll take some time to make this a habit, but hopefully it will become a little more natural to put others 1st.

It would also be awesome if I could go to Africa while 30…and maybe bring home a baby or two. ;)

If you would like to give me a birthday gift please order a bracelet from my etsy shop or donate to our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment