Wayward: self-willed; rebellious; unruly; impulsive

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Announcement!

Some of you may already know this and some of you will be totally shocked: we've decided to adopt. Actually, we've always wanted to adopt, but God has really brought it front and center within the last year. I've contemplated this post and written it in my head a million times. This is nowhere near what I thought it would say. I wanted to be really pumped up and excited or sometimes I wanted to be totally defensive and rebuke the naysayers from the get go. Tonight, I just don't have the energy to do either one. So I'll keep it simple and stick to the facts. Here they are: We want to adopt a young boy or girl from Ethiopia. (Aisley just chipped in and insists that I say she wants a baby sister and her name should be Broom) We are completely and totally open to a waiting child. Also called a "special needs" child. I'll fill you in on that later. It's probably not what you think. The adoption process usually takes several years. You have to be financially secure to adopt and we are not. Yep, that's the truth. BUT we are working like crazy to pay off bad debt and will fundraise to help cover the cost of the adoption. Ethiopian adoption costs $30,000-36,000. So why are we doing this? Well, that is probably the simplest part of all of this. When I get overwhelmed and discouraged I remember that God put adoption on our hearts. And before He did that, He commanded that we (as in, all of His people) care for orphans: Deuteronomy 24 (NIV) 19 When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. 20 When you beat the olives from your trees, do not go over the branches a second time. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow. 21 When you harvest the grapes in your vineyard, do not go over the vines again. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow. 22 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt. That is why I command you to do this. Matthew 25 34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Isaiah 1 (NIV) 17 learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow And of course: James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. There are others as well, but that was a long enough Bible lesson for today, huh? By the way, Aisley is memorizing James 1:27. This is her version: Religion that God likes is to care for the "orphanizers" and "wittles" and don't act like the world. Close enough for now! :) So there you have it. We're excited about adopting, but know it will be a long, hard journey. I hope to be able to apply by Christmas, but Carey isn't so sure that's a realistic goal. I've never been known for being realistic, so I'm going to stick with my optimistic goal. I'll keep you updated on our progress. I'm working on a donations website for those of you who want to help orphans without adopting. Donations are great, but prayers are even better. We'll need lots in the years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment