Wayward: self-willed; rebellious; unruly; impulsive

Monday, August 2, 2010

Potty Training Bloopers

Oh what a day. We are somewhere in the middle of potty training and by "middle" I don't mean that we're half-way there. I mean that there's no turning back now, even if I wanted to and for the most part, I do. :)

Today was my fault completely. Last week I lost my debit card and called to deactivate it and order a new one. Of course, 2 hours later it was the first thing to pop out when I opened the dryer door. Go figure. I meant to get Carey's card so that I could go grocery shopping this morning and forgot. We had enough to scrounge up for lunch and dinner, but no diapers. Not one. Since AGW had already gone tee-tee in her big girl potty once, I thought this may be the perfect opportunity to spend the entire day practicing. After breakfast I striped her down and asked frequently if she needed to go potty. Every time she insisted that she didn't and I was a afraid to push her. I hoped that the questioning would remind her that our goal is to use the potty. Finally she came running up to me frantically saying "potty! potty!". And that she did. I was so proud! She got lots of praise, hugs, and her reward, and I thought we were off to a great start. Until 15 minutes later as I was doing the dishes I heard sudden screams and crying. I ran into the living room to find her standing on the couch soaking it and the pillows. She was scared and upset by the whole event so putting her on her potty wasn't an option. We went to the bathroom and she sat on my lap on the potty. After she calmed down I explained potty training the best way I know how (for the 50th time) and cleaned her off in the bath tub.

We still had no diapers so I couldn't exactly give up. She continued to run around with a bare hiney while I cleaned the couch and washed the pillows. As I went to put the cleaner back in the kitchen she ran in screaming again. She had left a tee-tee trail through the dinning room and into the kitchen so I knew what was going on this time. I quickly scooped her up and turned to run into the bathroom, hoping to make it in time. Before I could even take 2 steps she let it all go. The front of me was drenched. The kitchen rug was drenched. I just stood there. How could a little girl hold so much pee? Not even 30 minutes ago she had gone in the potty. Then all over the couch. There was nothing to do but laugh and comfort her. It was time for bath #2 and I would be joining her. In the shower I thought to myself "Potty training is great birth control. Oh wait... crap. Too late now!" :)

At that point I really wished we had diapers. I wasn't sure that I should put her back in them, (Will that just confuse her? Does it send mixed signals about what she can and can't get away with? Does it un-do what little we did accomplish earlier?) but I really didn't want to go through that again. However, we still had no diapers. So again, she went with a bare hiney. After the last two episodes I literally asked her to potty every 2 minutes. She insisted that she didn't need to go. I believed her because of all of the fluid I had just seen. I went about my business of sewing a button on Carey's white coat when she came running into the office leaving a trail behind her. This time I scooped her up and held her way out in front of me as I dashed around the corner to the bathroom. Whew, made it! I stood her up in front of her potty and cheerfully asked her to sit down to go tee-tee. She refused. Once again, the flood gates opened and as she stood there crying and screaming and me begging and pleading, the bathroom floor quickly became a wading pool. It was time for the 3rd bath in an hour.

That was enough to determine that this wasn't going to get any better. After the bath we loaded up and rushed to the closest Walgreen's for the cheapest package of diapers available. AGW is now worry-free in her soggy diapers and we are back to normal. I'll try this potty training gig on another day when I know that I have plenty of backups.

No comments:

Post a Comment