Wayward: self-willed; rebellious; unruly; impulsive

Monday, October 15, 2012

Pot Roast

I'd been feeling pretty crappy about my lack of cooking lately and was reminded by some friends to stick to the basics. Crock pot roast and stew are 2 super easy meals that require little prep and get me out of the kitchen ASAP! I cheated and bought a bag of frozen veggies, a package of seasoning, and the roast. Knowing dinner is around 6:00, I found myself dumping everything in the pot around 2:30 and hoping that would be enough time. Carey came home from work and immediately complimented the yummy smell of dinner. I felt pretty good about my semi-homemade meal until after I had already served Carey and the kids their plates. They were happily lapping up ketchup with their roast when I went to dish out my plate. I noticed bits of white stuff floating and didn't think much of it. After all, there's sometimes fat that floats up, right? But then I pulled up a big, stringy piece on my fork and what little confidence I had gained from this cooking success was shattered. In my rush to get everything in the pot on time, I failed to remove that stretch of plastic that sticks to the meat and separates it from the styrofoam. Then the dilemma: do I dare interrupt a meal that my children are actually eating without complaint? They've even managed to smother their veggies in ketchup and stuff them down! Surely whatever BPAs and other chemicals broken down in the cooking process, won't be any worse than the fast food junk we'd have to go pick up, right? So I did the unthinkable and tossed a few pieces of that delicious pot roast onto my plate, lathered on the ketchup, and enjoyed a nice meal with my family.

Don't ever eat my cooking, folks. Just trust me on this one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment