Wayward: self-willed; rebellious; unruly; impulsive

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Welcome Fall.... where ever you are. Today's high is 97 degrees! This northern weather is nothing like I expected. I really hoped to be closer to cool, crisp, fall weather as we enter into October. Instead the heat is sticking around and pretty much killing everything. The leaves are falling as I expected, but only because they're dying. I am thankful though, that the humidity is gone. That could've been unbearable. With all of this wild heat, I've decided that Baby Hayes is holding out for cooler weather. He may have to cook a while longer. Because I expected cooler weather at this time of year, all of Hayes' newborn outfits are warm, cuddly, sweater sets. Hmm. Unless Mother Nature changes her mind or I keep the AC cranked, he's not going to be wearing those!

We have a c-section scheduled for October 6th just in case Hayes is stubborn like his sister and doesn't want to come out. I'm not progressing much so I've accepted the surgery and I'm making preparations for the recovery. I do have one major concern: Preschool Picture Day. The surgery is set for a Wednesday and AGW has school Thursday and Friday. I'll have to stay in the hospital those days, but Thursday is Picture Day! She can't miss that! So somehow, Carey will have to manage to get off work Wednesday AND Thursday just so he can take her to preschool. Do you think the upper level surgeons will understand that? I mean, they're only saving lives right? :)

On that note, this is the 2nd week of preschool and AGW is doing very well. I'm so proud that she isn't one of those kids who screams and cries and makes drop-off miserable. I find myself getting frustrated with those kids (even though it's totally natural and understandable) because they make good kids (like my perfect AGW :) hesitant and a little on edge. Can't they just be put in another room until they get it together for the sake of the other kids? Kidding, just kidding... kind of.

Carey is wrapping up his last 2 days of Cardiothoracic Surgery. I hate to admit it, but this month flew by. I know he's glad it did because he was bored. CT isn't the kind of rotation that allows much hands-on learning. He gets to be in the clinic (he hates the clinic), round daily, participate in codes (he likes that part), and hopefully observe a cool case IF there is enough room for him in the OR. He's pretty much last in line but occasionally he gets to sew up someone. I think he was encouraged by one of the upper level resident's lifestyle. This guy was off two weekends and flew to Chicago for a getaway and then Boston for another weekend vaca. Not that we'll have money for anything like that, but camping trips with the kids would be nice.

Next week Carey begins the BIG ONE: Pediatric Surgery. This is where his heart is, for now at least. I guess anything could change after being on the rotation for a month. Pedisurg has been his strongest interest and the main reason we came to Cincinnati, so I'm not anticipating a change. Also, he did a month long rotation in pedisurg last September when he went to Houston as well as spending lots of time with the pediatric surgeon for Tech, so I feel confident that he will continue to pursue this avenue. Great rotation to have a brand new baby, huh? I'm mean no pressure, he's only setting the tone for the next 6 years and trying to establish some kind of foothold to help give him a tiny shot of staying in Cincinnati for his fellowship. No big deal... :) Ok, so probably it's not a big deal. I don't know how the system works. Maybe no one will pay attention to him because he's just the intern. Maybe they won't notice that he's a walking zombie with spit up on his scrubs. He'll actually probably fit right in, there's tons of spit up in a children's hospital and all interns look like zombies for the most part. Either way, if you're reading this I have some specific prayer requests:
1. A health delivery of a healthy and happy baby
2. Carey's pedisurg rotation: that he'll find strength, endurance, patience, rest, and sanity with a new screaming baby waking him up every 2 hours. Also that he'll be able to focus, learn, and make a good impression during this rotation.
3. AGW: understanding and tolerance during all of the changes

I know it's a lot, but thank you for those prayers. Carey has worked so hard to get where he is now and I know that he will have lots of pressure placed on him to perform well. He'll also be torn between his family and the hospital. He tries very hard to get home in time to see AGW before bed each night, but this rotation may have more demanding hours. He will also be on call more often which is very difficult for AGW. The great thing is that he loves pedisurg and that makes work much more pleasant and he is on vacation the 1st two weeks of November! So all of the long and sleepless nights in October will lead into much needed time at home with his babies at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment